Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cold Weather Alert.

We have a cold weather alert today. According to this morning’s weather report, the warmest it’s going to get is a still very cold -11 degrees Celsius. The low is apparently a freezing -21 degrees and if we factor in the wind chill, it would feel like -29 degrees.



Because I am always cold, I decided I should put on even more layers of clothing today due to the kind of temperatures we are having. I am wearing thick socks that go almost up to my knees, jeans, a long-sleeved white shirt with a thick wool turtleneck on top of it, and thick, water-proof boots with fur lining inside. To top it all off, I also have a scarf, leather gloves and a thick winter jacket that are long enough to cover my thighs. I officially now look like a miniature Sasquatch. I can barely move with all the layers of clothing I am wearing. I imagine you can probably try to punch me and I wouldn’t feel a thing.

It was biting cold when I got out of the house this morning. I could see my breath turn into white air every time I exhaled and my nostrils felt so dry and brittle that I thought my nose would bleed. My head was covered and so were my ears so that helped a little bit. But it was really uncomfortable being outside in such cold conditions.

It is days like today when I wish I were somewhere warm.

3 comments:

N said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
N said...

Come home here in the Philippines then! wohoo :)

I could not stand the temperatures you are having there. Even then, it's also cold back here when the temperatures are probably in the lower third of 20 degrees.

But I like the look of a breath going white almost freezing immediately! hehe

Be safe! :)

k a r e n said...

I know! I should go there!

Ya, when we still lived there, the lower 20's were already cold. I remember one time my mom set the temperature for the aircon to 23 degrees and we all woke up in the wee hours of the morning bec we were all shivering even with our blankets on! 23 degrees is summer here in Canada! LOL

There are some things that do fascinate me like the soft-falling snow, being able to see my breath turn into white air, and witness liquid turn into ice in a matter of minutes.

If only the cold wasn't so uncomfortable, winter would be nice.