Monday, July 06, 2009

The Weekend

As usual the weekend went by again in a hurry. On Friday evening, we decided to have dinner with my family and my brother’s friend, Dan, who had spent the week in Toronto to see my brother. Since it was his last night in town, we thought it would be nice to take him out for dinner as a family. He’s never been to a Greek restaurant before so we took him to Danforth which is basically Greek town here in Toronto. I was hoping to eat at Mezes because it’s one of the best (if not the best) restaurant there and they have such good food. They are a bit pricey (dinner for 4 people could easily go over $200) but the quality of the food is just outstanding. They have the best iced tea in Toronto as far as I can tell. Steve always complains about the fact that they seem to nickel and dime you for just about anything. You pay for each glass you consume instead of it being refillable like most places in Toronto. I don’t really mind... okay, let me rephrase that..., I am also conscious of the money we spend when we go out for dinner. But we don’t eat at Mezes everyday so I don’t mind paying more than usual when we do go there.

Mezes was packed when we got there. We didn’t have reservations because earlier that day we couldn’t decide on where to eat. Since the wait was long and we didn’t want to have to stand in line all night for dinner, we decided to go to Ouzzeris instead. It was also busy but not as packed as Mezes. We were able to get a table for seven and soon enough we were seated and having a delicious meal. The food is good too and about the same price as Mezes. We ended up staying there for almost 2 hours.

The following day, Steve and I just did some stuff in the morning then ate lunch at home and took a nap in the afternoon. I always feel good when I get the chance to nap. I also always end up getting a headache after napping. I never used to but now I do and I don’t really know why. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting to nap... I still love it! After our nap, we headed out to dinner with Steve’s dad and sister at a patio. Boy, his old man sure can eat! I am always surprised at how much food his tummy is able to hold. After dinner with them, we went back home, changed to warmer clothing and then headed out again to meet some friends for a bonfire by Lakeshore. They were doing fireworks at the Exhibition Place and from our spot on Lakeshore we had a perfect view of the city and the fireworks. It was a bit chilly if you weren’t sitting by the fire but we did have a good time. Good thing though that we ate dinner before going... I don’t think the chips would have done it for us.

Sunday morning Steve let me sleep in a little bit then we took his mom out for lunch. Later that evening we made dinner at home (we already spent so much eating outside) and then rented a DVD from Blockbuster. We decided to rent Confessions of a Shopaholic since we haven’t seen it and I was curious. It was okay... quite funny because I could relate to her shopping addiction although on a much smaller scale compared to her. She was just crazy! I love the part where she’s trying to rationalize buying the green scarf and in the end she tells herself it’s “really an investment”. Hahaha! That part was so me! I always convince myself that my expensive purchases are good investments. Steve gave me a knowing look at the part where Rebecca says “I forgot I even had this!” when she realizes she has this little black dress in her closet. It certainly wasn’t Oscar-worthy but it was still entertaining. I just hope I don’t turn into a shopping maniac like her. It would be such a disaster.

So that was what made up my weekend. Short but quite enjoyable.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Hey Karen! How are you? Stopped by your blog coz I wanted to tell you that I dreamt about you :) I dreamt that we (you and Steve and Alvin and I) met up somewhere (could very well be Canada)for a mini vacation. It was fun-- lots of food but no beaches :) Just thought I'd let you know...maybe it'll come true in the future! Hope married life is going well for you guys :)

k a r e n said...

Hey Sara! Nice to hear from you! I'm good thanks! Wow, I wonder why your subconscious has me and Steve in it! LOL but yes, I bet it would be fun if we all hung out together. Maybe we were at Greek town? There's always good food there and nice patios. Hopefully we'll get to hang out for real one day.

I hope you and your beautiful family is doing well! Do you know if baby #2 is going to be a boy or a girl? I'm excited for you guys!