Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Senseless Dressing.

We are finally getting snow. Although winter doesn’t officially start until next week, it’s been slowly getting colder as the days go by. I can’t complain though because it stayed relatively warm during all of fall and the temperature only started dropping to the negatives last week. Hey, I’ll take what I can get!

During this time of the year, I find it puzzling and amusing to watch the way some women dress themselves even though it’s freezing cold outside with risk of hypothermia. The other day, Steve and I were walking down the street dressed in our warm clothes with our boots on and a heavy jacket on top and we saw this woman frantically waving down a taxi and she was wearing a mini skirt... a MINI skirt! The kind that when you sit, you can practically see everything. The weird thing is, this was at 10:30 am. I can somewhat understand if this was in the evening because maybe she was on her way to a club or a house party or something. But where does one go at 10:30 in the morning wearing skimpy clothing in -3 degree weather? She wasn’t even wearing any tights or leggings or even a pantyhose to keep her legs warm. I had layers of clothing on me and I could barely stand being outside for more than 15 minutes!

It’s really bizarre how many women would rather look “hot” than be comfortable. I often see women walking by wearing clothing that you know isn’t geared towards keeping the “wearer” warm in any way. I always see women in high-heeled shoes walking down a snow or ice-covered street. It’s an accident waiting to happen. It’s funny how some women dress themselves with every intention of looking like a runway model except that it somehow doesn’t fit the picture because as they’re “strutting” their stuff down the street, there’s strong gusts of wind blowing and snow all over the place. You can see white smoke coming in and out of their noses as they inhale and exhale the ice-cold wind.

Some people are just impractical I guess. Well at least they look good.

2 comments:

Jela said...

I'm not gonna lie - I enjoyed dressing up in winter clothes while I was in Japan. And I also enjoyed checking out the clothes the locals were wearing. :D

But yep, I got you. A lot of the women looked stylish and hot in their get up, but one really must wonder if they're not freezing their butts off. Granted, it's still technically autumn in Japan (the temp while I was there hovered from 8-13 degrees) so the ladies there are probably a lot comfortable wearing mini-skirts than in your country with its sub-zero temperature! But still, 8 degrees is still too cold to be wearing fishnet stockings outside, considering that it was quite windy as well. :p

k a r e n said...

It really is fun dressing up in boots and coats and matching accessories during the winter time but when it gets as cold as it gets here, all that dressing up fun kinda goes away. lol it comes to a point where putting on layers of clothing is a big hassle.

If the Canadian winters weren't so cold (and so long!) I'd probably have a different perspective of it!