Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Christmas so soon already.

I happened to visit Jen’s page today and noticed that she had put on a countdown to Christmas widget. It said “71 days ‘till Christmas” and I thought to myself, “Really? Christmas is just 71 days away?”

Wow, time flies.

Personally, I find Christmas to be a bigger event in the Philippines than it is here in Canada. I think I’ve posted about this before, saying that it might be due to the fact that Canada is more diverse than the Philippines and not everyone here celebrates Christmas. I remember that back in the Philippines, as soon as the “ber” months arrive, Christmas songs and décor and lights start appearing everywhere. Filipinos truly are Christmas Fanatics. It’s the one event of the year (aside from Holy Week and New Year’s Eve) that the entire country makes preparations for so early on. We tend to put so much effort into making Christmas a truly memorable and fun occasion.

I miss celebrating Christmas in the Philippines. I swear you can almost smell it in the air back home. I miss Ryan Cayabyab and Jose Marie Chan’s Christmas carols and I miss driving through the Ayala Center admiring all the Christmas lights and décor. I miss watching Fireworks and I miss puto bongbong (did I spell it right?). I even miss the carolers constantly ringing our doorbell. Meron pang nandadaya na same group naman pero paisa-isang kumakatok sa gate para makarami sa pamasko. Di naman kumakanta!

I miss the exchange gifts and the family reunions and the Christmas parties. The Philippines may be a third world country but we sure know how to celebrate Christmas!

5 comments:

N said...

Karen, Merry Christmas! :)

The season is still the same here in the Philippines though a little bit rough economically. But with the nature of the Filipinos, I'm sure WE will find means to celebrate Christmas the way it has always been.

:)

k a r e n said...

LOL! Merry Christmas to you too White!

Ya, times sure are a bit rougher but one of our signature traits is the ability to find laughter amidst crisis. =)

Anonymous said...

Hi! There are a lot of chrismtas decorations around town now :) but no like before.. I guess with the cost of living now in the Philippines, Filipinos are celebrating in other ways.. but definitely still celebrating it with much gusto!

"Simbang Gabi" is nearing and the puto bungbong is going to be everywhere :)

Anonymous said...

awts. too many typos in my comment sorry...

**happy holidays!**

k a r e n said...

hey aBIGwhale! ya, the cost of living has gone up in the past few years and everyone seems to be trying to stay away from overspending. i have no doubt that Filipinos will always find a way to make the holidays special even in the littlest of ways.

nakakamiss talaga ang pasko sa pinas!