Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A week off is good enough for me!

I'm so happy my vacation request finally got approved! So, this is officially my last week and then I'm off next week which means no phone calls, no e-mails and no training! I was so worried that they weren't going to approve it since we're so swamped. But had they not approved it, I would have thrown a hissy fit! haha!

Anyhow moving on, I recently got assigned a very important client. It's our biggest deal to date and I couldn't believe they gave it to me! I honestly never saw it coming. Surely they would assign it to my boss and I would prolly help out once in awhile but boy was I wrong! So there I was sitting in our VP's office with her explaining the situation... How important this deal is, how much money this is worth, what needs to be done, what to to expect, the process of doing things...yada yada yada... I was having one of those "Ally McBeal" moments. You know the one where she spaces out and starts imagining things? Yup, that was me. While listening to the VP go on and on and on, I was thinking of all my other clients, how much work I still have left, all my appointments, what's already on my calendar, worrying about my vacation, remembering Steve telling me I need to ask for a raise...and at the same time trying to keep my facial expression serious and attentive (Mark was also watching me intently so I had to concentrate even harder). Mind you, I had the urge to grab a paper weight and throw it at her. I guess my facial expression might have betrayed my thoughts because she (our VP) stopped midsentence and suddenly asked me, "oh do you have lot on your plate right now?" I had to stop myself from saying, "as if you didn't know" and instead explained in the nicest way possible that I wouldn't mind taking on the project but that it would be impossible for me to take on this project and do everything else altogether. So she said not to worry and that we would be hiring someone else to take on some of the projects I already had. Sure. I've heard that before and I don't see a reason why I should even be listening.

Bottom line is, I didn't have a choice anyway so I had to accept the assignment. I knew I was going to regret this whole thing from the moment I stepped into her office. This means that on top of all the things I'm already taking care of, I've added another one on my list that may require me to work irregular hours and I don't even get a raise! How wonderful.

Looking at brighter side of things, at least if I have to be at work at 3 am in the morning, I get picked up and dropped off afterwards, I have just been handed to right to say no to other things if I'm too busy taking care of this deal and I can delegate some stuff to my boss if really needed. harhar!

But on top of all of this, the really great thing about it is that I still get my vacation! I was so sure they were going to take back the permit they gave me but thank God I was wrong!

2 comments:

lil superman's mum said...

Hee-hee, I'm so happy for you! =) (about the 1-week vacation thing, not the new project of course. I think annual block leaves should be mandatory anyway.

k a r e n said...

I agree. Here in canada it is required by law kaya lang it's not guaranteed na with pay.. w/c sucks of course. Parang ang tagal ng Friday. haha!