Thursday, August 28, 2008

Suddenly feeling old

I was just on Friendster looking at people’s profiles and photos and god I suddenly feel old. Seeing friends marry and have kids and all that feels so surreal. It’s as if the last ten years or so flew by in such a blur. One day we were in high school and all of a sudden we’re adults pursuing careers, travelling and having families of our own. Where did time go?

I just saw photos of a girl I was neighbors with back in the Philippines and I was a bit surprised at how much she’s grown. This is the same girl I remember playing with my baby brother in the garden not too long ago (or at least it seems not too long ago). She’s at an age where she can practically go to bars now! I keep forgetting that the kids I knew back then are teens now and are eagerly getting their driver’s licenses and enjoying the privileges of being eighteen. If I am shocked to know that the little kids I held and played with are now in high school and probably already dating, I can just imagine how my own relatives and the people who knew me when I was younger are feeling. They’re also probably reeling from the fact that I’m half-way through my twenties now.

Why is it that before the age of eighteen, time seems to crawl and after you’ve turned eighteen, the years fly by? I was looking at my Outlook calendar this morning during a meeting with a co-worker and I only realized that one of the dates we were discussing is actually my birthday. Wow… another year! It certainly doesn’t feel as though an entire year has gone by even though a lot has happened in the past year alone.

Grabe, how do you think we’ll feel in our forties?

3 comments:

N said...

never mind the physical deterioration. it's all in mind as they say. hehe

i'm approaching mid-30's myself but i don't look 30's as almost everybody i meet would remark. just keep a positive outlook about how you look. what is important is how you've grown to a better person that you are, right? by the way, i've stopped counting my age. hehe

k a r e n said...

you're very lucky to look young for your age. i still find myself being carded everytime i go out. some people think i look much younger than i really am and then there are those that get it right. there's this one guy from the previous company i worked for who told me he thought i was already 25 and had kids (i was only 22 at the time).. i was like WTF?! but ya, i don't worry so much about the physical aspect.. i just worry about being left behind! lol

N said...

Dear Karen, hehe refrain from worrying too much, with just anything. I guess that's the reason why we tend to look older than our age. Frankly, i already noticed it with me lately. I always look and feel "battered". :) i think what's important is to enjoy life at the present. It's always a challenge though.