Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

It’s a rainy Tuesday morning and I’m sitting at my desk at work trying to find something to do. I have just been informed I can’t go into the database I was going to work on since it is currently causing network problems. That’s just great…that means I can’t do work and it’s not even 10am yet. Bummer…

I was hoping it wouldn’t rain today since it didn’t rain y’day eventhough the forecast said we were expecting some rain. I actually wore summer clothes today in the hopes maybe the rain would avoid us. So much for hoping…atleast it isn’t raining hard yet. I brought an umbrella with me anwyays. Oh I hope it doesn’t ruin the sandals I wore today. They’re my fave and I’d be bummed out if they got ruined. I had comforted myself in the though that if it did get ruined, I would just buy new ones.

Someone needs to vacuum here around the office. It’s kinda getting uncomfortable and Mark’s allergies aren’t getting any better. He started bringing a can of Lysol with him to work which I thought was kinda funny. The other day he was cleaning his desk like crazy and he even has a hand sanitizer. He likes to call me shorty…his way of teasing me since I’m vertically challenged although I would have preferred the term “petite”. Lolz! Jerry says I should take it as a compliment because shorty could also mean honey or baby… I don’t think that’s what Mark means but what the heck…

I was reading the Metro this morning on the way to work and there was one article about the Da Vinci Code. In the article it said the book was not one that could be classified as a good novel but surprisingly sold over 40 million copies. I, for one, am not familiar with the standards by which a book could be measured against in order for it to be called a work of art or a bad book. I thought the Da Vinci Code was a really good book and so did everyone I know who’s read it so far. It suddenly made me curious as to how authors or book critics decide whether a book was good or bad. I think I need some more research on that. The article said that one of the reasons why it sold was due to the fact that aside from entertaining audiences, it also offered lessons on art and a bit of history. I think that article meant that the book educated people to a certain degree and everyone knows the mind loves to absorb information. The article also said that it offered an alternate belief to Christianity and the church and that it offered a different scenario than the one the church paints. It depicted Jesus as a husband to Mary Magdalene and the possibility of having offsprings that live among us and the church as murderous. I don’t know about that. Although it is certainly an entertaining book, I still believe in the teachings of the church. I read in another article the other day about an interview with Ian Mckellen (I am not sure about the name…lolz) but he was asked what he thought made the book so interesting to people and he said that Dan Brown wrote about something that has long been a question to us…”What is the Holy Grail?”. He mentioned how people would sit through an hour and half long program on Discovery Channel about the Holy Grail eventhough they know they wouldn’t get an answer at the end of the show (I had to laugh at this when I read it because I am one of those people… I even sat through one of the programs in Discovery Channel about UFOs). He said one of the reasons people love the book was because he took you through art and history and made you believe in a story that gave you an explanation about what the Holy Grail is and he made it so believable that if he had said it outright from the beginning, you would have said it was “rubbish”. I agree.

I think just because you read something doesn’t mean you necessarily believe in it.

No comments: