Friday, May 05, 2006

on the subject of cooking...

Friday (finally!) and I’m off to the watch MI 3 tonight with Jerry =)

It’s almost noon and I’m on a 45 minute break from a training session. My boss had decided that I should probably handle all training for this company so I am learning the other system from the tech manager. I kind of like this other system better than the one I am currently assigned to because I think it is more intuitive, easier to use and in a sense built to be more logical. In any case, it is still training and being a trainer can be draining and occasionally sucks. I wasn’t even hired to be a trainer but it is somethig that was designated to me as part of my job (-sigh-) since one trainer quit 2 weeks after I started and another was let go.

Moving on, the birthday dinner we had last night for lola was good. She prepared so much food and being the excellent cook that she is, you can’t help but eat a portion of everything. Tito had bought a birthday cake for her as well from a Filipino bakery and it was good too. Unfortunately we didn’t have any birthday candles but we still sang happy birthday for her and she pretended to blow out candles afterwards. I remember when we were still young and back when we all lived in the Philippines, she would bake a cake for every birthday celebrant. My family lived in a different city and we lived about an hour away but she would bake a cake and have the maid deliver it to us. I remember she would call my mom a few days before and ask me what cake I preferred. I loved it when she made sansrival. It’s the best! (-sigh-)

Here is a brief list of the food that she makes that I like:

· Cakes
· Embutido
· Fruit salad
· Garden salad
· Turbo-broiled chicken
· Soups
· Arozcaldo
· Pansit
· Kare-kare

And a whole lot more! Too bad I didn’t inherit her love of cooking. Sadly, I have always been afraid of getting burned while cooking. I don’t like it when hot oil starts flying everywhere. I do cook but very seldom and I can’t really say how well I cook. I do help out once in awhile when I’m home though. Growing up, I’ve never really had the need to cook since we had a maid when we were still living in the Philippines and when we moved here to Canada, we stayed with lola and tito for over a year so lola did all the cooking. Since we no longer live with lola and tito, mama does the cooking since she’s home well before me. I know I should really get into it. I think I need to be exposed more into the world of cooking. Jerry cooks better than I do! He cooks all the time and he actually experiments and his food is amazing! It’s embarassing enough that my mom asked him to teach me some of his cooking skills. Lolz!

I miss restaurants and fast food places in the Philippines…going to these places will definitely be on my agenda when I do get the chance to visit. =)

No comments: