Monday, September 11, 2006

Article (continued)

Make sure to read the entry before this...

I was browsing through the Female Network and I came across the article below. How true that when we see a beautiful woman, we just naturally assume she doesn't have a head above her shoulders. It's a way of justifying things - beauty = dumb; not so beautiful = smart. Alas, when we think of this equation we can sleep at night knowing that life is indeed fair and that there is justice in the world. God made her prettier than me but at least He made me smarter. Ahhh...there is balance after all! How did this mentality start in the first place? You think maybe it's those dumb blond jokes that started this whole fiasco? I don't know.

I know how it feels... I've walked out of the house feeling like the most beautiful woman in the world and all it takes is for a woman far more beautiful than I will ever be to come into view and I can feel my self-esteem slowly sink. I'm left wishing that I was as beautiful as her. I'm left asking, "why wasn't I born like her?".

Have you caught yourself looking at a couple and thinking, "ang gwapo naman nung guy pero bakit naman ganyan girlfriend nya?". In my brother's own words, it's a classic case of "beauty and the beast". He works at a restaurant part-time and he tells me sometimes how an extremely beautiful girl walks in with her boyfriend who is just "average" or sometimes "pangit as hell" and he can't help but ask himself, "pakshet paano nya nabulag?!" When my brother tells me stories like this, I must admit I can't help but laugh. Natatawa ako kasi kung anu-anu naiisip nya...natatawa ako kasi dumadaan din yan sa isip ko. I know, it's awfully cruel to say it but it's the truth. I can almost guarantee naisip mo na din yan kahit minsan.

But you know what? My brother behaves like a typical guy... he gets attracted to beautiful women but he will never go for someone simply because of her looks. He knows better than that.

Sometimes I do wish I was more beautiful. I think most of us do. But when I think about it, in my life I don't remember the people who are beautiful. Di ko naman pinapansin yon. I wouldn't love my friends any lesser if they were unattractive. Ever since my brothers and I were little our parents would always tell us, "Di bale ng panget basta maganda ang ugali...yung personality ang important." and "don't worry if you don't think you're the prettiest or the most handsome..if you have a good heart people will see beauty in you". My parents may not be the most beautiful or the most handsome but to me, they're perfect. My mom will always be my idol. She'll always be beautiful to me and she'll always be the mom I want to be someday to my kids. My dad will always be the most intelligent man on earth for me. He'll always be the person I come to when it comes to making important decisions. I know now that he doesn't hold all the answers but I will forever value his opinions and regard them with the highest respect. To others they're ordinary...but that's because they don't know my parents like my brothers and I do.

So for that extremely gorgeous guy/girl that has the "average" partner, we ought to keep our mouths shut. She or he may not be drop dead gorgeous but that doesn't mean he or she doesn't have all the qualities we hope to find in a partner. She or he may be all that and way more than we could ever imagine. Like the saying goes, "Don't judge a book by its cover".

One time I overheard a guy friend saying, "you know what? It's sad most girls try too hard... don't they know it's their imperfections that make them perfect?" I was stunned... but damn was he right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! i hope i remembered it right! hehehehe:P cheers to life;)

k a r e n said...

awwww... thanks! ang galing you still remember! you're so sweet!