Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mariah Carey @ Air Canada Centre

As soon as I came back to work, my co-workers asked me where I went during my one week vacation. It seems when you mention the word vacation, people automatically think you’re going somewhere. I didn’t go out of town. Mostly I was at home sleeping or watching TV and sometimes I’m with Jerry (he was on vacation too). Just the fact that I was somewhere else other than work made me so happy.

We did go to the Mariah Carey concert last Tuesday with Jerry’s aunt and uncle. Jerry had bought the tickets well before and I’ve never been to a concert here in Canada (come to think of it, I don’t recall going to a concert in the Philippines either – tsk tsk). Ok, so most people rolled their eyes when I mentioned I was going to a Mariah Carey concert. Not too many people are fond of her but what the heck, I wanted to go anyways! After all, it was at the Air Canada Centre! We decided not to splurge on the tickets since we were saving our money for something else so we got seats way far back but still good enough for me. We had successfully sneaked in a camera but we were too far to take any pictures and the lights weren’t very helpful either.

It lasted a little over an hour but I was really amazed! She sounded exactly like how she sounds when you listen to her on the radio which I thought was pretty amazing since most artists nowadays edit so much (have you heard Linkin Park live on TV? So different from how they sound on the radio isn’t it?). What I loved the most was how well organized everything was. Her set was really beautiful. Have you ever seen those videos were there’s flashing bulbs behind the artist? She had that too when she was performing Shake It Off. I was w-o-w-ed by all the fancy stuff she had on stage – the curtains, the lights, the big screens, flashing bulbs, glitters… She had a staircase on one side and a ramp on the other. I was telling Jerry if she ever tried using the ramp she would fall for sure with the high heels she was wearing. It turns out the ramp wasn’t for her. Buti nalang…

She also had a DJ who took over when she was having her costume changed. The DJ was really good. He played hits from all the way back during the 90’s to current hits. He would play only the first few seconds of a song, just enough to get the crowd excited and then moved to the next song. Jerry and I cheered, screamed, danced and sang. I was a little hesitant since his aunt and uncle were sitting next to us but then what the heck, we were at a concert after all! What do you expect, right? Even his aunt was swaying to the beat.

She sang all her hits and ended the show with We Belong Together. It was really worth the money we spent on the tickets. Not bad for my first concert.

No comments: