Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Birthday Bash

My cousins drove to Toronto from Virginia on Thursday to spend the weekend in town to celebrate my grandma’s 90th birthday. The entire Gloria family has been planning the birthday bash for months and the time to party finally came. I was really excited to see my cousins since I haven’t seen them for such a long time. Sabi nga ni JR, the last time we saw some of them was during our grandpa’s funeral… I was only 12 years old at the time. It’s been 12 years since then.

I was also happy to see my nephews and nieces… the last time I saw my cousin, my niece hadn’t even been born yet. I can’t believe how fast time flies… this cute, little girl is now 3 years old! The kids are just so adorable. My brothers and I kept saying how nice it is to have kids in the house again since our youngest brother, Miguel, is not so young anymore. Sometimes when my brothers and I talk, we tell our parents how it nice it would be if we had a baby sister. Of course mama says she’s done with having kids and that she’s too old to have anymore. But having our cute, little niece with us for the past few days just strengthened our desire for a little sister. We are all so very fond of her that we kept taking turns holding her and playing with her. It’s funny hearing Chris and Cjem talk because they have the American accent na.

While they were in town, we went to the Eaton Centre to go shopping. I’m always by myself when I go shopping so it was really nice to have my cousins with me for a change. It turns out I’m not the only shopaholic in the family. It seems that Leslie and I have the similar shopping habits. We had a nice lunch at the Pickle Barrel and later that night we had Chinese for dinner. One of things I really enjoyed during their stay was our late night talks. I think we were talking until 5 am on Friday.

A few family members worked together to make a PowerPoint presentation showing my grandma’s 90 years. It was basically a collection of pictures of her, family and friends. Leslie, Ate Kit, mama and I worked on the program and in preparing the games we were going to play during the party. We did scrap the “Kembot” by the way. I told you there was no way we were doing that.

I have to say though that the party went really well. I was nervous about being the emcee and talking in front of people I didn’t know but I’m just glad I didn’t trip on anything or say something totally weird. I was also worried that people might not participate in the games and activities we prepared but thankfully, the guests were nice enough to join in the fun. My grandma was so surprised with the PowerPoint presentation and she kept asking how and who made it. She enjoyed it so much that when guests arrived during the presentation, she was hesitant to get up because she didn’t want to miss anything. Some friends and family in the Philippines also recorded a video with their birthday greetings and wishes for my grandma which I thought were really thoughtful.

I am really glad we did this for my lola. She can be a bit makulit at times but she’s also a really wonderful person and we love her very much. I just wish we had more family reunions like this. I always have a blast when my cousins are with me.

To you lola, Happy 90th Birthday!

No comments: