Thursday, March 05, 2009

Books for the desert

You're packing your bag for that other desert island - the one with no electricity - what 5 books do you take with you?

I swiped this from Jela’s blog (thanks Jela and I hope you don’t mind..).

A bit of a toughie since I love to read and I usually end up loving most books I go through. I am a big fan of “feel-good” books and I normally go for the romantic and emotional type of books. As Steve says, I am a sucker for mush. So here goes…

Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas (James Patterson) – A friend of my mom’s lent her this book and I ended up reading it before her. I have never read any of James Patterson’s action-filled, mystery books but absolutely loved this one. From the moment I read the first few pages, I was instantly hooked and I think I actually finished it the same night that my mom brought it home. I loved the book so much that when I saw it at National Bookstore, I bought my very own copy which I brought with me when I moved to Canada. I read it again after a few years and I still keep it in my bedside table.

Lamb (Christopher Moore) – I would probably be chastised for reading this just because of what it is about. Some people might be offended by it but I thought it was hilarious. I found it so funny that I actually cried quite a number of times because I was just laughing so hard. I adore the sarcasm and the author’s sense of humor. It is a fictional story about Jesus and his best friend Biff and all their adventures while growing up. It’s one of those books that make you go, “oh this is just so wrong…” in between laughs. Ever wonder what Jesus did between the ages of 12 and 30? Read on…

Twilight (Stephenie Meyer) – Need I say more? Some people do drugs, some people smoke… but Twilight is just my kind of heroin. I can honestly read this book over and over and over again and still gush and cry every time Edward and Bella are together. Yes, it’s a teenager’s book but I love it just the same.

The Notebook & A Walk to Remember (Nicholas Sparks) – Technically these should count as two separate books but I figured since they’re written by the same author and have almost the same theme, that I should just bunch them together. I don’t own all of Nicholas Sparks’ books but I did enjoy the ones I’ve read. Want to have a good cry? Pick one up from the bookstore near you. They always make me burst into tears but I love how he portrays the characters in his books and the complex relationships they have. His books don’t always promise a happy ending but they’re really good reads.

Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) – We had to read this book for a school paper but I loved reading it anyway. It’s certainly one of those few classics that I enjoyed reading. I still have the tattered copy which I bought years ago when I was still in high school. I really admire how well the book was written and how effective it was in describing scenes and characters. Just like Pride and Prejudice (another love of mine), I enjoyed flipping each page, trying to figure out what was going to happen between the two main characters. Where they going to end up together? What’s the big reveal?

These are just a few of the many books I have enjoyed reading. I am currently reading The Long Walk Home by Will North but I've only read the first few pages and it's too early to tell whether I will love the book or not.

1 comment:

Jela said...

Of course I don't mind! I would love to find out what books you would bring!

I've only read Jane Eyre and A Walk To Remember I know the story because of the movie. *grins*

It's hard, isn't it, to limit the books to take to just five? :)

Hope you can do the DVD ones as well! I would like to read that, too!