Monday, March 30, 2009

Naps, anyone?

These days it seems I can never get enough sleep. I’m always so sleepy and around 8 in the evening, I am already struggling to keep my eyes open. If I make the mistake of lying down to nap, I will most likely end up sleeping through the night. Last week, after eating dinner I decided to lie down for a few minutes. It was only 8:30 pm and surely enough, I fell asleep and woke up the next day at 5 am. I was so confused the next morning because I couldn’t figure out what day or time it was (and yes, there are days when I wake up and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what day it is which ends up scaring the crap out of me).

Do you feel the need to have a day within the week where you just sleep-in? I do. And let me tell you, I get really cranky if I don’t get to sleep-in at least one day of the week. I used to be able to sleep-in until noon without waking up but now I get a headache if I do so I just sleep-in until about 9 or 10 am and then I force myself out of bed (like that’s a big difference, right? It’s only 2 hours shy of noon after all!). But yes, I enjoy sleeping. I actually like napping during the day too.

It really surprises me when someone tells me they can’t nap. I just have to ask, “Why??” For me, it is the most natural thing to do especially during a rainy afternoon or a boring subway ride. I have no problems whatsoever napping. Even if I tried to stay awake during my hour-long subway ride to work during the morning, I will eventually end up closing my eyes. I feel better after a nap. I think the only time I actually feel bad about napping is if I end up napping during an inappropriate occasion or place. Like when I’m in church for example. Or if someone is giving a really long talk and I end up dozing off. That’s just rude.

I remember when we went to Mexico last year, Steve and I resisted napping during the afternoons because we didn’t want to waste our days sleeping. In our entire stay there, I think I only napped once or twice and only for about an hour or two during both times. I think it’s the only other time where I would have felt bad had I slept for long periods of time. I certainly didn’t want to waste my Mexican vacation in a nice resort by sleeping! I’d rather be at the beach relaxing and drinking an iced tea or a Miami Vice (yum!) or even better – swimming!

I remember not getting much sleep through College especially when we had projects to work on. I really don’t know how I was able to function with zero or very few hours of sleep and no coffee. If I attempted that now, I’d be a walking zombie (even with coffee!). Now even with 5 hours of sleep, I feel exhausted.

I wonder how I will be like when I have a baby and I’m not getting any sleep. I worry that I will be very cranky and mean!

Sleep and I are very good friends indeed.

1 comment:

Eper said...

I love taking naps too! Especially now that I'm pregnant, I try to nap as much as I can before the baby comes. For sure, when he arrives, we'll be zombies!