Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Homesick.

Last night, my dad, my two brothers and I went to Jessie Jr. to have dinner. Mom’s in Montreal for the week on business and because we can’t feed ourselves without her, we pretty much have to go out for meals. I suppose we could make a few meals… but we are a bunch of lazy, hungry individuals who find it rather easy to order instead of making it ourselves.

Although it was a bit chilly outside, we walked the 2-3 blocks to the restaurant. We decided to order an assortment of ulam which we would share amongst ourselves. The problem with eating in a Filipino restaurant is that everything just looks so good! Even though I am not particularly fond of ampalaya, I ordered it because the last time I ate ampalaya was four years ago when we were still living in the Philippines. Kahit mapait, masarap pa din. We also ordered pork bbq, pansit, lechong paksiw and… another dish but I can’t remember what it’s called. For drinks, we ordered Sarsi and Royal (in cans because they didn’t have bottled ones).

They had 3 flat screen TVs showing Filipino variety shows which were followed by the news. We watched the shows intently (we don’t have the Filipino Channel at home so this really is the only time we see Filipino shows). There are celebrities we still recognize and there are those who we don’t recognize at all. But the variety shows never change.. they’re still cheesy as hell. While watching Bente Kwatro Oras with Mel and Mike, JR asked me if they always spoke Tagalog in the news because he couldn’t remember. I told him as far as I remember, some yes and some no. To be honest, I wasn’t sure either. They were showing the flooded areas from the tropical storm Nina and I recognized España and a few other places. JR kept commenting that the flooding seemed so much worse that he remembers. I told him, it’s always been like that.

I have to say that being in a Filipino restaurant, eating Filipino food and being surrounded by fellow pinoys while watching Filipino shows feels so “home-y” (if there is such a word). It just seems so familiar. It made me miss the Philippines again. Today at work, I was watching a video blog which was taken in the Philippines and… surprise surprise… it made me cry. Yep, I actually cried. I don’t know why… I’m normally not this emotional. I’m blaming my hormones for it.

I feel homesick. After being in Canada for 4 years, I still feel homesick every now and then. I wonder… will it ever go away…?

No comments: