Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Sweets

The culprit: a pack of gummy watermelon candies.


A co-worker bought a bag of these yesterday and gave me a few in a small plastic bag. I haven’t been able to stop myself from devouring them and it is making my teeth hurt. Steve has taken and hidden them away from me just so I would finally stop eating. Of course, it doesn’t help that I know exactly where he hid them. This morning, I went to his desk, opened the first drawer and there they were – yummy, gummy watermelon candies.

I was able to eat two of them before Steve caught me. He once again sternly reminded me that I shouldn’t eat them because they’re not good for me. He’s actually threatened to throw them out. I’m just surprised he hasn’t done it yet... I have seen him throw out an entire plastic container half-filled with sour keys so if he says he’ll throw them out, I believe him. Maybe he’s worried I will get upset? Possible. I do get pretty cranky when something I love gets wasted. Particularly food that I like.

I love gummy candies. I never feel good after but I eat them anyway. I used to be able to eat a lot of candy and be fine afterwards. Now, if I consume an entire bag, I get sick. I remember watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a kid and envying the kids in the movie who got to go inside the big candy factory. I watched the remake of that film a few years ago... the one starring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka and I did not envy the kids at all. Just thinking of all that sugar makes me feel a bit nauseous. Last night while watching Jeopardy, a TV commercial for Werthers came on where it showed this little girl going into a Werthers shop and they were showing different kinds of Werthers candy (soft, chewy and hard) and of course caramel dripping slowly into a container. Steve said he’d love to be in that Werthers shop tasting all those delicious caramel candy. I couldn’t help but laugh because he keeps reprimanding me for eating sweets and yet he eats more chocolate and caramel than anyone I know! I’ve actually witnessed him eat more than 5 mini chocolate bars in a row! I can only eat one of those and I’m good. I find them too sweet. I love Maltesers though... I can finish an entire pack in one sitting.

I’m trying to think which brand of candy/chocolate I like the most but I can’t think of any one brand in particular. I used to be a really HUGE fan of Twix but now I’m not as fond of caramel anymore. I guess our taste when it comes to candy/chocolate changes with us as we grow older.

No comments: