Monday, February 02, 2009

What I've been up to

I know I have been an absentee when it comes to posting and since it’s been sometime since my last entry, I thought I’d give you an update on what’s been going on with me.

Let’s see…

Steve took me out for dinner at the Old Mill to celebrate our two years together. He wore a suit and I wore a dress and we ate steak and lobster. The place was amazing! It’s one of those places that have been around for years and years and just looks so classy and cozy at the same time. Aside from the good food, we also enjoyed dancing to songs performed by a live band. Steve commented that the singer had a great voice except that he looked as if he had a bit too much to drink. I thought he just looked tired. Too bad, we didn’t have a camera with us so we only took a few pictures using my camera phone. It was too dark for our camera phones so out of all the photos we took, only one turned out nicely. After dinner, we went to Café Mirage for dessert. We love going there for dessert and coffee because they have nice lounge chairs and it’s a good place to just sit and talk. Plus, they have really good cakes, pies, ice cream, waffles and crepes. I have to admit that the evening was expensive but we both had a blast and it was worth every penny.

Last Thursday, my family and I became Canadian citizens. I had to take the day off from work to go for my oath-taking and also to apply for my Canadian passport. Since we applied as a family, we went as a family. There were 91 citizenship candidates present for the oath-taking, representing 23 different countries. It’s nice seeing so many different people from different backgrounds in one room. So different and yet so alike in so many ways. The judge was a nice, friendly man… such a huge contrast to all the other employees there who seemed to hate working in the service industry. I guess when you have to deal with people day in and day out, especially having to deal with people who can’t seem to follow the simplest instructions, it does get very tiring. But still, I don’t like all the people I have to deal with on a daily basis but I try my best to be pleasant! Anyhow, the judge encouraged the participants to take the oath in both French and English to show our support for Canada’s bilingualism and multiculturalism. He said the oath in French first which we all followed. I couldn’t help but laugh during the entire process because something about a room full of people mumbling French words they don’t understand seemed ridiculous. For all we know, the judge could have been saying something else entirely different and we’d be repeating it just the same!

I’m really glad we got our citizenship. We waited at least 3 years just so we can apply for it. We’ve applied for our passports as well so hopefully we’ll be able to travel to the states soon to see our relatives. I keep telling Steve, he’ll have to take me shopping in Buffalo or New York. He just shakes his head and tells me I should know better. Hahahaha!

In case you are wondering if I denounced my Filipino citizenship… no, I didn’t and neither did my family. We weren’t required to and it’s nice being able to have dual citizenship. We are happy to be Filipino-Canadians.

What else…? I haven’t been able to watch a single episode of Fringe since it came back two weeks ago and I’m completely lost. JR won’t tell me what happened and insists that I watch it on my own. He says that it’s better that way. The problem is, I just haven’t found the time to actually watch the episodes I missed. Apparently, Prison Break’s about to be axed. It’s a good show but it is about time they ended it. The story line’s getting a bit ridiculous. Come to think of it, the only show I’ve been able to follow lately is the Bachelor. Only because Steve’s sister watches it regularly and I end up watching it too.

We recently rented Ghost Town from Blockbuster and we liked it. As my dad puts it, it’s got a subtle sense of humor but quite enjoyable. I laughed so hard at the part where he gags because of the dog! Too funny!

I saw this really beautiful blue dress at Club Monaco the other day and I REALLY wanted to buy it except that it was expensive and way over my budget. I walked out of that store feeling depressed. I knew I shouldn’t have gone in to begin with. Stubborn, stubborn fool.

I finally got the swimsuits I ordered online and… none of them fit me properly!! I’m so annoyed… now I have to ship them all back. I would have rather bought one from a store here in Toronto but most stores have the same stuff. There’s so much more available online and cheaper too. I just wish they fit as well as they looked online. That way I don’t have to keep buying them and then having to return them.

Shopping can be quite difficult at times…

4 comments:

N said...

Congratulations Kar on your anniversary, your Canadian citizenship, and good luck on your shopping, hehe

k a r e n said...

oohh love your new profile pic!

thanks white! =P

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your citizenship! :)

k a r e n said...

Thank you Eper! =P