Sunday, January 27, 2008

Come & Follow Me.

There was a song we sang at church today and I didn't know the title at the time but I Googled it and found that it is entitled The Summons which goes...

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.


I love this song because of its message. Indeed it is difficult to leave oneself behind and trust God with everything. How often we forget that God created us to know, love and serve Him and share in His eternal glory and happiness. We get so distracted by the comforts that this world has to offer and we lose sight of why we are here in the first place.

The Gospel today was when Jesus called His disciples and it says that they immediately dropped what they were doing and followed Him. I always wonder what that exactly means... I wonder because "immediately dropping what they were doing" is not an easy thing to do. Imagine yourself going about your business, commuting to work or whatever and Jesus sees you and asks you to drop everything and follow Him. Mind you that you do not yet know (or maybe you do) Him and yet you are being asked to abandon what you are doing and just go. What would you do? Would you pick up your cellphone and make a few calls, arrange everything and then follow? Would you think that the man talking to you is crazy and ignore him?

I think most of us, if asked right now in this age and time, would hesitate and a million things would be running in our heads. Most would agree with me when I say we'd all probably hesitate because it's not an easy thing to do especially when you have to make a living and raise a family and pay bills and what-have-you and here's a guy like any other guy who in your eyes is a complete stranger asking you to do what is not "reasonable" in your mind. Ang hirap noh?

The call to serve God in our daily lives is not heard by many and it's not like the Bible times where they heard God's voice, saw and spoke to Jesus or saw visions in dreams. Nowadays, we have to pray and try to see the message hidden in our lives and the people we meet and the chances that come our way and try to determine what God is telling us and asking us to do which is not easy. It takes a lot of faith and determination to even figure things out.

When things don't go my way, I always wonder if God is trying to tell me something. I get discouraged and I doubt at times but at the end of the day I know He loves me and knows what is best even if I don't understand it at the moment. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and do your best and let God do the rest. Pa-minsan minsan you just have to say to yourself, "Bahala na si Lord..."

No comments: