Sunday, January 27, 2008

Napaisip ako.

I was just reading Christine's Happy Slip blog and found out that she's going...rather she IS in the Philippines right now and I couldn't be happier for her. I truly believe that every Filipino, especially those who were born and raised out of the country should make that trip AT LEAST once in their lifetime.

I can try to describe what it feels like to be there but it is different when you experience it for yourself. Meet the people, see the sites, taste the food... it's a totally different environment that is both heartwarming and beautiful.

Minsan naisip ko, do the Filipinos that had a chance to grow up in the Philippines have a higher appreciation for it compared to those that didn't? I'm not entirely sure... minsan naisip ko oo pero minsan naman naisip ko hindi rin. Depende siguro kung paano lumaki yung tao. I mean those that grew up learning to appreciate what it is like to be Filipino and it's heritage would (I assume) most likely yearn to see and visit the place they or their parents or their parent's parents call home.

I was born and raised there and I had the opportunity to know what it is like to grow up playing in the street with the neighbors, taking the "school bus" to school, walking to church on Sunday mornings with the family, caroling and pamasko on Christmas and fireworks on New Year's eve...noche buena, simbang gabi.. and just being there and living and taking it all in... pure Filipino culture..the good and the bad.

Sometimes I think to myself, kung ako kaya di lumaki sa Pinas, would I still want to go? Palagay ko naman oo kasi of course I would like to see where my parents came from and just see the country itself. Pero would I necessarily be as attached to it as I am now? Ewan... I mean, I miss the place and it's the people I left behind who I miss the most and who give me more reason to go and visit. So if I didn't grow up there and didn't have friends there and never experienced any of the experiences I've had, gustuhin ko pa kaya siya as much as I feel now?

Aannnnyyywaaayy, I'm just really happy for Christine and just a tad bit jealous... o sige na, talagang naiinggit ako!

No comments: