Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Change.

The one thing that is constant in this life is change and yet it is the one thing that I find most difficult to cope with.

I don’t know why but everytime a change occurs, I get a little anxious. I like being in my “comfort zone”. I like the comfort of habit and the predictability of it all. I like knowing that if I do this and this and this, I will get what I want. I can’t but have expectations based on the things I do. Sometimes, change gets me excited and I actually look forward to it. But then most of the time, it just plain worries me. Most especially if that change has something to do with my personal life. I don’t like not knowing if the change will be positive or negative and I certainly don’t want it to be something that will cause me pain.

But if there’s one thing I learned growing up is that life doesn’t always turn out as planned and it almost never goes that way you expect it to go. Sure we can make plans, dream and hope for the best but we also have to be flexible enough to bend with the unexpected. It’s not always easy to be flexible especially if you’ve already invested so much in your plans. But what can one do, right?

Whatever we do, there will always be factors that are just out of our control and the best we can do is to try and make the most out of the situation and just trust in the knowledge that when God closes a door, he opens a window. And hope, hope with all our might, that we’ll be able to appreciate all of it in the end.

1 comment:

jen said...

I can relate to what you said about things don't always turning out as planned. When I was in high school, I thought I had my entire life all planned, from college up to my 40s. And it became a constant source of depression and frustration when things didn't go as planned.

Then I realized that it's okay to plan, just don't forget the fact that someone up there has a bigger plan for us. We may not understand His reasons for things but in time, we would realize that His plans are indeed better than what we had because He values us much more than we do ourselves.