Friday, August 17, 2007

News Blues.

If there’s one thing you probably don’t know about me (or maybe you do) is that I don’t follow the news as much as I ought to. When I was younger, I didn’t like reading the newspaper because the paper itself and all that ink (or whatever it was on it) always made my hands dirty and I didn’t always have a sink and soap handy to wash my hands with.

Putting shallowness aside, one of the primary reasons I don’t like following the news so much is that it always depresses me in one way or another. It’s almost feels like a constant reminder that the world is screwed up, that there are people out there that are completely messed up and that the people we trust to make things better end up making a bigger mess of things.

Doesn’t it make you sad to hear that thousands of lives are lost everyday because of war, poverty, crimes, etc? Such innocent people who are just trying to live decent lives become prey to such horrible circumstances that could have been prevented.

Maybe I’m looking at it the wrong way? Maybe the news not only tells us what happens around us…but maybe it’s also a call for change?

No comments: