Tuesday, February 19, 2008

New & Old Machines.

I was recently given a new CPU at work to replace my old one of a mere 512 MB. I have been complaining to our Tech Manager of how slow my machine is when booting or processing. He’s been reluctant to give me a new machine. I don’t know why but there’s just something about the people who are responsible for the office hardware… they’re always refusing to give you new hardware… for as long as it works, they won’t give you a new one. It doesn’t matter if your hardware practically crawls. As long as it is crawling and not stopping, it works.

About a month or so ago, while in the middle of doing work, I called our Tech Manager and showed him just how slow my computer was and said to him, “Look at how slow this thing is! It takes me so long to get one thing done and if I attempt to multi-task and do something else on the side, it will slow everything down considerably if it doesn’t freeze on me completely.” Seeing how bad it was, he finally agreed to provide me with a new machine. Yay!

So a couple of weeks ago, I was finally handed my new CPU of 2 GB. It’s not really brand new, fresh-out-of-store but it’s relatively new. I think it was purchased several months ago and was used for a few months by one of our former employees. And now, it belongs to me. *GRIN*

I made sure it was re-formatted and I then proceeded to install everything I needed on it. Although I was excited to get a new machine (yes, yes, I can be a little geeky sometimes), I was a bit concerned that I might lose a file or a program in the process. So the Tech Manager suggested that I hook up my new machine and my old one via a shared cable and just switch between the two while I carefully make sure that what I had in the old one will also be available in the new one (confused yet?). I have been enjoying having 2 machines and just being able to switch between the 2 by pressing my Scroll Lock Key twice. I have been able to successfully transfer and re-install everything I need except for my MSN Messenger emoticons.

And yes, my MSN Messenger emoticons are deemed important in my machine migration process.

So for the past few days, whenever I have some spare time at work, I have been trying to figure out how to move my emoticons from the old machine to the new one.

I tried to search for it on Google and was able to find instructions on how copy it via the command prompt in Windows. But try as I might, I couldn’t get the darn thing to work. It kept giving me an invalid parameter length message. So after doing a bit of research, I finally figured out where my emoticons are stored, copied it to a shared directory and then pasted it in the same folder in my new machine. And voila, my emoticons have now been transferred to my new machine. Ang galing ko talaga! In reality, it’s really easy to do and most of you probably already know how to do it but cut me some slack and let me enjoy my ingenuity even for just a bit.

I can now work on my new machine and get rid of the old one. I will miss the old but will enjoy the new.

No comments: