Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cold Irony

Napaka-ironic talaga ng buhay.

Today is one of the coldest days of this season and today of all days I had to wait for the bus for 15 minutes. Normally, the bus arrives within 5 minutes of me arriving at the bus stop.

Mind you, that’s 15 long minutes standing in the frigid cold. You’re probably thinking 15 minutes is not that long. Pero when you’re outside, standing in -16 degree temperature that feels like -25 when you factor in wind chill, even 5 minutes seem to take forever.

Nakakainis pa kasi while waiting, 2 express buses passed by. The express bus doesn’t stop at my bus stop so it’s pretty useless to me.

Buti nalang I was smart enough to wear layers of clothing. By the time the bus came, I couldn’t feel the tips of my fingers anymore and my face felt numb and brittle.

As if the long bus wait wasn’t enough, the subway was also a bit slower than usual due to some delays in some stations. By the time I met up with Steve, it was already close to 9 am.

--------------------------------

One of the things I also find ironic is that Sunday is always the coldest day of the week. All the other days are also cold but Sundays are often colder. For example, for the rest of the week we’ll get temperatures between 0 and -10 degrees. But when Sunday comes, it will suddenly drop to -15 degrees. It’s as if the weather knows we have to walk 2-3 blocks to church on Sundays and so early in the morning too. As if getting up early is not difficult enough, it will make it even more challenging by making the day cooler than usual. Why oh why??

No comments: