Friday, February 22, 2008

Some guys deserve a break.

Sometimes when I am sitting in the train or the bus, I’ll see an old guy, a bit ruffled but dressed decently, carrying a bag or a sack, and he looks beaten and exhausted and it makes me feel bad.

Parang kawawa naman. I don’t even know if I should feel sorry for the guy. I mean, he’s probably happy and content and maybe he just doesn’t look like it. But what if he isn’t happy? What if he’s struggling? What if he’s a nice guy with a really good heart, who’s worked hard his entire life and never got the break he deserves? What if he goes home to an empty apartment and he’s all alone? Or maybe he goes home to a nice little family and they’re just trying to pay the bills and feed the kids and make ends meet?

It’s sad to think that there are a lot of people out there who have such good hearts, who try their best to make a decent living and yet they struggle. It doesn’t seem fair that good people should suffer. It also doesn’t help that not everyone gets the same opportunities. Some people are not as fortunate as others and are forced to do what they can with what they’re given. Sumasama ang loob ko pag naiisip ko na may mga mababait na taong naghihirap samantala yung mga taong mapagsamantala yumayaman.

There are people who are born into poverty and broken families and not everyone is fortunate enough to get an education or even get the proper guidance they need. Heck, not everyone gets to eat 3 times a day! Yes, it’s true that there are some people who struggle because they choose not to help themselves. But there are also those who do everything they can and yet do not seem to get anywhere. Just the other day I saw a guy on the subway and he must’ve been over 60 yrs old and he looked like he was coming from work and he had a backpack with him and he was struggling to even put it on his back! Can you imagine what it must be like to be old and frail and still have to work to pay the bills? And what if he works in a labor-extensive job like a factory or a warehouse or something? I imagine it must be difficult and painful at times. The sad thing is, in the world we live in, we have to work to eat.

My family isn’t rich either and my parents are both working and so do I and my brother. When I see guys like that on the train, I can’t help but worry about my own family. I don’t want my dad to be old and still be working. My parents are getting older and they’re not as strong as they used to be. Mabagal na nga sila maglakad eh.

It makes me wish I could do something to make things better. I wish the world were perfect… that everyone had the same opportunities… that good people do not have to suffer or struggle or go to bed worrying about bills and where the next meal is coming from. I want to believe that hard work really pays off... that if you do your best and make the most out of every opportunity that comes, you’ll eventually get the break you deserve. I really hope that those guys I see on the train are happy and content and that they don’t have to struggle more than they should.

No comments: