Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tummy Trouble.

I have such a bad tummy ache. I suspect it is because I ate very little last night and didn’t eat anything until about 8:30 this morning. According to my pediatrician (when I was younger), I have what is called “hyperacidity”. I don’t recall when it started or how I got it but it’s been with me since. As a result, it is not advisable for me to skip meals or go hungry for long periods of time. I also can’t drink pop or orange juice on an empty stomach.

My lola (grandmother) blames it on my eating tons and tons of green mangoes and other citrus fruits when I was little. She says I must’ve have eaten too much. It seems I loaded up well on vitamin C but ended up producing too much acid. I don’t know if it really was the cause of my hyperacidity… it’s just her theory.

Anyhow, if I miss a meal or if I am hungry, my tummy basically keeps producing acid until it hurts. My pediatrician told my parents I should always eat something when I am hungry because my hyperacidity, if allowed to worsen, will eventually lead to an ulcer. And of course I don’t want that to happen so I always make it a point to eat something. But I’m human and therefore bound to err and I sometimes miss meals or don’t eat enough. Hence, I get tummy aches every once in awhile. It hurts like hell though. Enough to reduce me to a fetal position when I am at home or hunched over my desk at work.

My usual remedy consists of food, Tums and bananas. Yes, bananas are great for tummy aches. But the sad part is, it doesn’t go away immediately even if I eat. It normally lasts for a few hours. Everytime I get a tummy ache, I remember that movie Aliens with one coming right out of Sigourney Weaver. With the pain, it certainly feels that way.

No comments: