Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Manila Ocean Park.

I just found out that there is now a Manila Ocean Park in the Philippines! Whoa! I didn’t even know they were building one. When did all this happen? It seems as if I have been living under a rock all this time. It never fails to amaze me how so much can happen in the 3-4 years since I left the country… I am blown away.

It seems to have just opened recently and I found a bit of info and some pictures of it here.

It looks pretty cool and I would love to go one day. The prices on the site above said the admission fee is 400php for adults and 350php for kids. It seems expensive in my opinion but the prices of commodities have risen since I left the Philippines and maybe 400php is not that much money anymore. Plus, I don’t really know what you get with it and how big the place is and maybe 400php is reasonable for what you get. Nonetheless, it all seems very interesting and worth seeing. It would certainly be a good place for a school field trip although again, I do not know if 400php is all that affordable. I am definitely adding this to my list of places to visit one day.

In the website, it also mentioned that…

…The Oceanarium Journey is divided into six sections and each section carries a Filipino name: "Agos", "Bahura", "Buhay na Karagatan", "Pating", "Ang Kailaliman", and "Laot"…
Just out of curiosity, what does “Bahura” mean? I have never heard of that word before. Yes, believe it or not, there are a lot of Filipino words I am not familiar with although I was born and raised in the Philippines.

I have always wanted to visit an Ocean Park of some sort. I have yet to experience walking in a water/aquarium tunnel with marine life swimming all around me. It is what attracts me the most. Marine life is just so interesting and beautiful. Have you seen those Planet Earth documentaries featuring marine life? They are, without question, among the most intriguing and beautiful creatures on our planet. I love watching those documentaries. Who knew that in Indonesia, they have land snakes that go to the sea to feed on fishes? Not only that, but they actually work with other fishes to trap those little ones in one place where both species can feed. They look so pretty and scary at the same time. I cannot imagine myself being in the water at the same time as those snakes. There were hundreds of them! And they are quite poisonous too. I always ask myself how they’re caught on film…

I really hope to be able to visit the Manila Ocean Park one day with the entire family. It would be an awesome experience I think.

No comments: