Friday, March 28, 2008

Not Fun.

We have this client who sent us more than 10,000 resumes which we then have to parse into their database. Normally, this is something that is done through a service we offer called Data Conversion but since the client is cheap and doesn’t want to pay for it, we offered to parse the resumes for them for a smaller fee.

One of our developers could have written a code that could do the resume parsing on its own but it would take our developer an estimated 3 days to write it and unfortunately it’s 3 days we can’t afford since we have a lot of deadlines for other clients and we need to have all resumes fully uploaded by next week in preparation for their training session.

So we are forced to parse them in ourselves in batches using our resume parsing tool but just to be on the safe side, we are parsing them 15 at a time per person and there’s about 4-5 of us doing it at the same time. Since some resumes aren’t in the proper format and some of them are corrupted, we have to keep track of the resumes that don’t parse in so that we can inform the client of it.

I had training from 9:30 this morning until 3 pm and now I’m just spending the remainder of my workday going through the resume list. The amount of resumes is no joke. It’s taking a long time to go through the list and having to watch it while it runs just so I can note down anything that fails is kinda boring. It’s an easy task in a sense that I pretty much just have to sit and watch it go and note down anything that fails but it’s making me drowsy.

I’ve had to do so many different things for this job including tasks that aren’t really part of my job description or tasks that aren’t my responsibility. It’s freakin’ ridiculous but I seem to get into these situations where I find myself just agreeing to do it even if I don’t necessarily want to. I don’t mind doing favors and going out of my way to help especially if it’s going to benefit everyone but sometimes the favors are just really annoying. It’s also my fault because I have a hard time saying no and being firm about it.

I’m barely making progress on my list of resumes. This is going to be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
This is Nice Blog!

Can convert files one format to another. This can help in making data accessible to different people, and Data Conversion Companies for different applications. Data generated for one application can be transferred and used for another application. This will allow you to use the same data for different applications.