Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sarap.

I’m currently at work and I can smell food being cooked… weird but it smells like sisig. I know it’s very unlikely and almost impossible but that’s what it smells like. I just had waffles for breakfast but the smell of sisig is so enticing right now that it is making me feel hungry. I haven’t had sisig for the longest time and I remember my college days having lunch at Almer’s or Wok With Me. I heard they’re both out-of-business already which I found quite puzzling as they were always so crowded whenever we went there. I always thought they’d be around for a really long time. They had the best sisig I have ever tasted. Haaay… I really miss it.

There is a Filipino Restaurant here called Jesse Jr. where we sometimes go to. They have good food, fairly affordable and they have that Filipino vibe. I took Steve with me there once and whenever he tells someone else about it, he always mentions how weird it is that the place had that cafeteria style setting with chairs designed to face a big plasma TV showing Filipino variety shows. He said every person eating there was facing the TV. I told him it is most likely because they miss the Philippines and you just have to admit that a big plasma showing Willy lip synching and dancing is just so hard to ignore (Hahahahaha!). He said the variety shows we have in the Phillipines are somewhat similar to Greek shows. I am not sure what that means but I am guessing that he probably means a lot of dancing and some really corny stuff. Wehehehe.

I tried the sisig at Jesse Jr. and although it is okay, it’s not better than that of Almer’s or Wok With Me. Mahirap kapag nakatikim ka na ng talagang masarap..everything you try after just seems mediocre. I love Jesse Jr. still though because they have really good food and I can even buy Filipino snacks and desserts like leche flan and sansrival. Our local Filipino food heaven.

No comments: