Thursday, October 26, 2006

Working like a donkey

I’m tired. I think I am, once again, at a point where I begin to consider looking for another job. Everyday I drag myself out of bed to a job that I don’t really like. Everyday I sit on the train watching the people around me, all of us rushing to work, and I wonder how many of us really love what we do?

As children we dream of becoming a teacher, fireman, policeman, doctor, driver, astronaut, scientist, pilot, archeoligist, artist, architect, painter, etc… and as we grow older, our interests change and together with it – our dreams. How many of us pursue our careers because our parents wanted us to? Or because it makes a lot of money and it atleast ensures us of a future? Or maybe because our dreams require too much work and we’ve become lazy and allowed ourselves to be content with what’s easy? Or maybe or dreams cost too much money and we just can’t afford it? Or we’ve found a way to talk ourselves out of our deams and convinced ourselves that another path is the way to go?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for the fact that I am employed. But sometimes I feel like it’s taking forever to get to where I eventually want to go. I’m not surpised though…you have to work for almost everything in life. I know hardwork and commitment pay off but how long does it take? And what if it wasn’t meant for me to have? I mean, there are so many people that try and try and try but they never get to where they want to go. Am I one of those people?

I applaud those who pursue their dreams, who strive to reach their goals and those that refuse to negotiate with the world. I just really hope that in the end, all my efforts don’t go to waste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you want to be?

k a r e n said...

I want to become a Systems Analyst or even better - a Project Manager. I love everything that requires analytical skills... I find it very challenging and rewarding at the same time.