Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Useless

There are a lot of things I learned in school while growing up. All these things I've learned I'm sure are tucked away somewhere in my mind, meant to be retrieved when needed. You know what they say, the human mind is pretty powerful and that it acts like a sponge – absorbing and processing information. Unfortunately, no one bothers to tell you that squeezing the info out of your sponge is not as easy as it seems. Sure you can store them, there's just no guarantee you're going to be able to get them out of there.

Sometimes I’ll come across a situation where I can’t help but say to myself, “If only I paid more attention to it when I was being taught…” or “if only I used the things I learned then maybe I wouldn’t have forgotten…” Take for example, crocheting. I learned that in high school. But ask me to make something and I’ll look at you with a quizzical expression, trying to remember the different types of stitches (if you even call it that) and how the hell I managed to make those coasters back in school. I did a good job at it. I even remember the color of the thread I used - they were peach. But now, I wouldn't know where to begin or how for that matter.

I also learned ballroom dancing in school but now I can only remember four of them - waltz, swing, LA walk, and a bit of cha cha. All the other ones, I've already forgotten (although I did know back then there was no way I was going to remember Tango.. there were just too many steps and too many rules). I also took a few cooking lessons - I can't remember any of the dishes I learned back then. It's frustrating when I think about. There are so many little things we take for granted while growing up. Some these things would have been useful to me. It would have been cool to know so many things.

No comments: