Friday, June 15, 2007

Lola

I got into the elevator last night to make my way up to our floor in the building and the scent that greeted me upon entering reminded me of my grandmother’s house in QC. It smelled exactly the same and it’s almost as if my grandmother was in the elevator with me. I got a little freaked out coz you know what they say about that right?

Anyhoo, I felt a little sad because I haven’t seen her since we left for Canada almost 3 years ago and I truly miss her and her b-day parties. She’s such a sweet old lady with a great capacity for listening. We used to see her almost every other weekend and when she knew we were coming to visit, she would prepare dishes that she knew we loved. She would prepare a dish for my dad (he’s the most picky out of all of us I think) and she would also prepare dishes for my 2 brothers (that would most likely consist of chicken). Mum and I would eat whatever was there. If we came late and she’s already eaten, she would still sit with us in the dining table and just watch us eat and listen to our stories. Looking at her, it was obvious she enjoyed our visits and loved it when we shared our stories with her regardless of how mundane our topics were. After lunch if we felt sleepy she would tell us to go lie down in her bedroom and she would turn on the aircondition so we were comfortable. Mind you she doesn’t use it herself because she says it’s a waste of electricity and it that it was pretty expensive to use and yet she would gladly let it run the entire afternoon when we were there.

Wanna know a secret? She can finish a whole half-gallon of her favorite ice cream all by herself! I’ve never seen her do it in one sitting but apparently others have. I look at her and I can’t help but think, “Where does all that ice cream go?”

The one thing about grandmothers is that they know how to cook, clean and sew. When we were younger, I remember her making pillow cases and pajamas for us. She could sew curtains and dresses and make all sorts of stuff. Sadly, it’s a skill that has not been passed over to me. Consider it lucky if I hem a pair of pants right. Sewing for me consists of taking my clothes to someone who knows how.

I remember JR and me going to Bacolod with her during the summer. She would bring a pack of gum or candy with her to ease our discomfort with air pressure. To ensure we had a safe flight, she would ask us to pray with her while the plane was taking off. She never let us out of her sight even for bit. She would patiently sit in the garden while we play with our cousins and she would peel Santol and give it to us.

Dad told me one time that he gets in trouble every time my brothers and I get sick. My grandmother would call and reprimand my dad for not taking better care of us and that he should do this and that. He would assure her of course that he was doing the best he could but she would call every few hours to check how we were doing.

I don’t know if she knows I remember all of it. She probably thinks we were too young to remember… but I remember. In fact, I remember all of the little things she does for us that never fail to tell me how much she loves us even if she doesn’t say it.

I hope you know that I love you lola.

No comments: