Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Names

You know that silly thing most women do? Ya know, when we think of names we’ll give our kids someday…?

I’ve done it and I’m pretty sure you’ve done it at some point too.

It’s funny because I’ll hear or read a name that I will like and then at some later point I will meet a girl or a guy that has that name and he/she turns out to be a real….a real… am I allowed to say a**? Okay, let’s just say that person turns out to be someone I really don’t like. You know what happens? It ruins that name forever for me. For instance, I think I will never name my boy Michael because I know so many Michaels who are pretty notorious and arrogant (no offense to the Michaels out there who are genuinely nice).

Sometimes I’ll meet someone and I’ll say to myself, “that person has such a cute name…” and then I get to know them a little better and get disappointed. And then I end up saying, “too bad, that name’s out the door!”.

I am afraid my kid will turn out the same way (although it is more of a superstition rather than a fact). Bottomline is, I don’t want to give my kid a name that reminds me of a person I dislike.

1 comment:

Sj said...

Anything you can do to get -ve associations out of yr life is good. Whether that means changing yr mind or removing the object.. it is a good idea.

For naming kids yeah, if there is a past association then prob it is not a good idea. But I think everything has thought of names!