Friday, June 15, 2007

Perhaps It Was Her?

A Chinese co-worker asked me the other day whether I have a great grandfather somewhere in my family who is pure Chinese. I said I wasn’t sure but I was told I have a Chinese surname and a pure Chinese relative on both sides of the family. He said I should find out because according to Chinese tradition, having a pure Chinese grandfather (or a male Chinese ancestor – great grandpa or great, great grandpa, etc.) would make me Chinese even though we got mixed along the way. I found this very interesting so I decided I would Google it and see what information I could find.

The very first link that came up led me to a forum with single post from a person with the exact same name as one of my great aunts who had passed away a few years ago. Unfortunately there’s no further information available aside from her name so I can’t tell for sure if it is in fact her or if it’s just a coincidence that someone else happens to have the exact same name.

It made me miss her all of a sudden.

No comments: