Friday, November 10, 2006

more money, no chores?

During lunch, one of my co-workers had brought up the topic of household chores (specifically on the subject of who should do the cooking). She said that her former boyfriend had told her that his mom earns less than his dad so she compensates by cooking and looking after the dad. He then told her he would expect the same from his wife someday. This guy believes that the spouse who earns a lesser amount of money should compensate by doing all the household chores. I can’t wait to see what happens if his spouse earned more than him… (maybe he’ll change his mind then? =P)

I don’t believe that this should be the case. Personally, I think it’s a whole bunch of crap (Sorry if I’ve offend anyone by saying so). I think that each one should do what they can when they can. I could be working as hard as I could and still make less than what my spouse could be making. So does that mean, although I’m dead tired at the end of the day since my spouse is making more, I should be doing all the household chores? What if we had children? Should I do the household chores and at the same time take care of the children while my husband sleeps or watches TV? I would understand if my husband was tired or sick or maybe even stressed. I don’t have anything against men and I certainly don’t have anything against doing household chores. I just think that each person should do what they can to help. Even if I were making more than my spouse, I wouldn’t expect him to do everything at home. I would do as much as I can. I think both spouses should compromise, atleast take turns. Who does the household chores shouldn’t be based on who’s earning more money. It almost seems as if this guy is trying to say that the person who has more money should get the upperhand. Selfish.

1 comment:

Sj said...

I just don't think that the conversation should be made first off while mentioning gender or gender roles at ALL and 2nd I totally agree with you that the logic presented there is a bunch of crap. It makes no sense and I can't even see how anyone would find it advantageous in any way.