Wednesday, December 13, 2006

And here I thought...

I was a very curious child. Everytime my parents took me out, I asked an awful lot of questions. Questions like, “why is the sky blue during the day and black at night?” or “how do cars run?” or “where do babies come from?” or “why can’t I touch the stars?” or “How do the chickens know it’s already morning?” My parents tried their best to answer all of my questions and when my questions required answers that were very hard to explain to a child, my dad’s common response was, “It’s very hard for you to understand even if I try and explain it to you because you’re still young. But you will learn a lot of things in school and as you grow older.” So, I went to school everyday thinking that I would get all my answers. But in the meantime, I had my theories and my so-called “childhood myths”.

I thought…

  • Babies were put in mommies’ tummies while they sleep. I couldn’t figure out how though…
  • My real mommy had been turned into an orange ball and the mommy who’s at work is mommy’s twin sister and daddy thinks it’s my mommy. The orange ball might be in daddy’s cabinet...fake mommy put it there. (This was a dream that I thought was real… I think it was influenced by some TV show our maid used to watch)
  • There are people inside the TV but they’re small so they fit.
  • Clouds were made of cotton. You can bounce on them, sleep in them and never hurt yourself. God and the angels live in the clouds but they hide everytime a plane passes by so we never see them.
  • Being an angel was a profession. I wanted to be one when I grew up.
  • All toys come alive at night when I’m sleeping or when I’m not looking. If I’m cruel to them, they will hurt me.
  • Dogs won’t bite you if you bite your tongue because they feel the pain too (blame my childhood friend for teaching me this.)
  • Holy water heals wounds faster because it’s holy (again, blame childhood friend for this.)
  • You grow up and you marry your next door neighbor. That’s how people find their husbands and wives. Daddy married mommy and they were neighbors.
  • The sky is blue because God colored it blue just like He colored the plants green. Daddy said the sky is blue because of something called gases… I don’t understand.
  • Those scary looking plants in school used to be children but the plants did something to them and now they’re horrible. I should never be left alone with these plants.
  • Rainbows are really big colorful slides. I just haven’t figured out yet how to get on them.
  • Unicorns, mermaids and Santa exist. I’ve never seen them in person but that’s because they’re magical.
  • I can fly but I have to jump off somewhere high like the roof.
  • I’m really a princess and my dad’s the king and my mom’s the queen. They’re just hiding it so I won’t get kidnapped.
  • Daddy and mommy said my cousins moved to another country but the truth is, they’re just hiding and they’re watching me. I don’t know why they would hide though…
  • If I drink Nestea, I can fall flat on my back and there’ll be water… just like in the TV commercial.
  • Big Bird and Snuffleupagus were real.
  • Dinosaurs are still alive. They just don’t know where to find them.
  • Frog piss gives you boils and butterfly powder makes you go blind.
  • If you swallow a seed, it will grow into a plant inside of you.
  • If you have an open wound, everything you eat will come out of it.

I still believe 2 of the items listed… LOL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't know we were hiding from you? Oh, you must've not gotten the memo... We were playing extreme taguan.

k a r e n said...

Hahahaha!

I really thought you guys were just hiding and you would come out one day... Even when I was in school I would glance at the windows to see if you guys were peeking..yeah.. I was weird. I don't even remember how old I was when you guys moved... 6 or 7 maybe?

Marieseda said...

You mean that Big Bird and Snuffleupagus aren't real???

I was exactly the same way I asked why about everything and made up some similar stories (I still believe I'm a princess and that my real mom is Vanessa Williams). My parents and many other relatives bought me tons of books with titles like "Why?: The Best Ever Question and Answer Book About Nature, Science, and the World Around You" or "1000 Questions and Answers" just so I would shut up for a while. It normally backfired because after I'd finished reading I'd have to tell them all the reasons for everything.

k a r e n said...

I know what you mean marie!

Once, my dad explained to me this whole topic about volcanoes and the following day it so happened we were discussing volcanoes in my science class.. I ended up giving this whole big lecture to the class! Now when I think about it, I feel a bit embarrassed.

kristin said...

i used to beleive that if you got trapped in an elevator the back doors would open up into an alternate universe with alligators that talked and walked and wore clothes and had jobs all having to do with not letting the people in and so they would eat you if you got there by accident. 1st I used to live in a building that had really bad elevators and my friends would push all the buttons and it would get stuck and I'd see the inside of the doors... and they wuld tell me all horrible things. then i had the nightmare about the alligators.