Monday, December 11, 2006

Cooking and I

In case you didn’t know, I can’t cook. I mean, I can but I’m not very good at it. I can probably cook an estimated 10 dishes or less and that’s about it. I used to brush it off like I didn’t need to learn how to cook because I figured I’ll survive (somehow). I grew up with a maid to do all the cooking in the house so I didn’t feel the need for it as much as I do now.

Now, I’m in my early twenties and I really feel the need to be good at it (especially since I have a BF who insists on me learning and being a good cook). No more maids to do the cooking and sooner or later I will have to cook for myself and my family. My great aunt was kind enough to lend me some of her recipes which I wrote down in a notebook and brought with me. I just need some hands-on practice and I know I’ll eventually be able to do it really well. I just have to get over the fear of being burned. Have you ever seen me cook? There’s a very obvious distance between me and the stove.

Jerry’s been pushing me to cook… oh sorry babe, I meant to say “encouraging” me. LOL! And so far, I have managed to cook him 3 different dishes all by myself. –GRIN- I’ve been looking at recipes I come across in magazines and websites but maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here. I should probably start with the basics… learn how to cook the dishes my mom and grandma prepares at home. My dad has always hoped I’d be a great cook but I think it’s my brother Miguel who is more keen on it than me. The other day Miguel said he wanted to become a chef someday. I don’t have to be a chef… I don’t want to be one either… I just really need to learn how to cook good food!

No comments: