Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's that time to be sentimental again...

Today I was asked by a co-worker if my family celebrates Christmas. It's funny, sometimes I feel like no one else celebrates Christmas like Filipinos do. As soon as the "ber" months roll in, we go gaga over Christmas songs, gifts, decorations, and every single thing that has to do with the holidays. We even have the "Countdown till Christmas".

I remember my parents taking my brothers and I for a drive around Ayala every year to look at the Christmas lights. I also remember the annual fireworks at ATC. There is a house in BF ParaƱaque that we try to visit every year to look at its Christmas lights. Cars stop by it everytime. The entire house is decorated with lights including the gates, trees and the fruits on the trees. It is so well-done that you can't help but think that the owner probably hires a decorator to do it (I can only imagine how much his electric bill is). We tried taking pictures of it but it's too bright that the pictures just turn out overexposed.

I miss Christmas caroling which officially begins on the 16th of Dec, I miss seeing people go to Simbang Gabi at 4am in the morning and puto bung bong (did I spell it right?). I miss the kids going from house to house on Christmas day asking for aguinaldo. I miss the cool Christmas mornings. Not cold, just cool. Suprisingly, I even miss the crowded malls where everyone is just busy shopping for gifts and groceries. I miss the Christmas parties at school.

You know what I miss the most? I miss spending Christmas with relatives. I miss the phone calls on Christmas eve (when everyone is trying to make a phone call and all the telephone systems are too busy you can't even make a call.) I miss the exchanging of gifts in my grandma's house. I miss putting up our "ancient" Christmas tree (the one we've had since forever). I miss our Christmas Wreath (which survived the many years) and I miss our old Christmas Tree decorations (each year we lose a ball or two). I miss having lunch at my grandma's house and talking to my cousins, aunts and uncles and playing games.

I've had 2 Christmases here in Canada and it's been good so far. But there is nothing like spending Christmas at the place you grew up in. Nothing can replace old Christmas traditions. It will always have a special place in my heart - tucked away along with all my best memories. And here in Canada, I will make new good memories with my family and my friends here and I will have phone conversations and Christmas greetings with the people I love from home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* You just made me misty eyed!! I do miss Christmas in the Peeleepeens!! I miss gorging on the food, especially the spaghetti that Lola makes with the sweet sauce and hot dogs (RED hot dogs!). I remember how we used to play taguan. I still remember Pipay hiding in yaya Eva's room and she tipped over the urinal under her bed!! HAHAHA!!! I miss New Year's Eve too with the fireworks and again, gorging on the food... Sigh! Thanks a lot Karen!! =P

k a r e n said...

Hi Ate Kit! I'm so surprised to find your comment on my blog! I didn't know you read it... you made me smile. =)

I remember playing taguan too! Leslie, JR, Aileen and I sucked at it so Ate Pipay used to help us find good places to hide. Leslie and I couldn't stop laughing so we always got caught.

I know those RED hot dogs lola uses on her spaghetti. Do you remember ate Eva behind the house cooking barbeque? We used to sneak some and we had to avoid lola or lolo from catching us. Oh, and I don't know if you remember but every new year's eve, lolo would stand in the terrace and we weren't allowed to go there because he said we could get hit with stray bullets or kwitis.. LOL!

so many fun memories... we should definitely have one of those Christmases again!